What is the Transitional Interior Design Style?
According to HGTV, “In a transitional space, furniture silhouettes offer straightforward sophistication: pieces with right angles and crisp lines share space with more rounded profiles.” Essentially, transitional design allows the most popular elements of traditional and modern furniture to shine alongside one another.
Transitional furniture is characterized by:
- Neutral colors and minimalist vibes
- Relaxing, breezy silhouettes and shapes
- A mixture of different textures to create visual interest
You may appreciate the transitional interior design style if you want to avoid having a home that’s too “matchy-matchy” with its furniture and decor. This style allows you to balance your favorite elements of other design styles. Keep reading to learn about our favorite transitional pieces sourced from local Bay Area furniture stores.
Transitional Sofas in the Bay Area
You can visit our Sofa Creations showrooms in San Francisco and San Rafael to get inspiration for your transitional interior design, or we can design a completely custom piece for your home. Here are some of our favorite sofas and sectionals inspired by transitional design:
- Alvin Sofa — The Alvin offers the perfect blend of timeless class and modern sensibilities with a simple silhouette, wooden base, and cozy cushions.
- Angela L Shaped Sectional — With a nod to midcentury modern design, the Angela has traditional, tufted back cushions and elegant, tapered legs.
- Barns Sofa — With thick armrests, tapered legs, and comfy cushions, the Barns definitely prioritizes your guests’ comfort.
- Carson Chaise Sectional — The Carson has gently sloped arms, thick legs, and cushions perfect for snuggling.
- Chesterfield Sofa — This traditional sofa will never go out of style with its regal silhouette, tightly tufted cushions, and round legs.
- Davis Chaise Sectional — With a touch of modern minimalism, the Davis has thick seams, chunky legs, and a sleek silhouette.
- Fillmore Sofa — The Fillmore is inspired by a variety of interior design styles, including midcentury modern, minimalist, and contemporary looks; perfect for a transitional home.
- Indira Sectional — The Indira is a blank slate, perfect for accessorizing with your favorite traditional and modern throws.
- Jennifer Sofa — We love this contemporary style with a solid base, thick arms, and tapered legs.
- MD L Shaped Sectional — This sectional leans toward the traditional end of the spectrum with rolled armrests, oversized back cushions, and chunky legs.
We personalize every sofa, sleeper, and sectional for each individual customer, so we can customize any of these pieces according to your preferred colors, dimensions, and style.
Keep reading to learn about some of our favorite local home goods stories that have even more designs you’ll love!
Where to Find Transitional Furniture in the Bay Area
Whether you need to deck out your living room, bedroom, or another room in your home with transitional pieces, we must recommend the following locally-sourced items:
- Nomad Coffee Table from Heath Ceramics — This coffee table is the essence of transitional design. It’s built to be easily disassembled and assembled again, making it a breeze to move around your room as needed.
- Antique Brass Bar Cart from Hudson | Grace — With its marble shelves and antique brass frame, this elegant bar cart looks stunning in any home.
- Triad Floor Lamp from Anthem — This lamp has a traditional, neutral shade atop an artistic three-legged stand. It’s graceful and artistic all at once.
- U Console from Anyon Atelier — This simple, whitewashed console would look beautiful in a foyer, dining room, living room, or anywhere else in your home.
- Windsor Arm Chair from March — The Windsor chair would be right at home in a formal or casual transitional space.
- Ladonia End Table from Sierra Living Concepts — This round, wooden end table is stylish, with a “peekaboo” shelf inside to store belongings.
Where to Find Transitional Home Accessories in the Bay Area
Need to decorate your room with a few more accessories and home goods? Check out our favorite transitional pieces from local Bay Area stores:
- Ghan Rug from Heath Ceramics — With a combination of textures in an understated hue, this rug fits perfectly into the transitional design aesthetic.
- Angelina Vase from Hudson | Grace — A cluster of traditional vases brought together to create modern art; the epitome of transitional design.
- Cubism Round Box from Anthem — This storage box is a piece of art, painted in the cubism style with neutral tones.
- Cashmere Throw from Anyon Atelier — The trademark of transitional design is comfort, and your guests will feel warm and cozy under this cashmere throw blanket.
- Brass Mirrors from March — These perfectly round, brass-framed mirrors help distribute natural light around your room and even make your space look larger.
- Condessa Stripe Pillow from Super Simple — This chic, neutral pillow adds just the right amount of color to a transitional space.
About Sofa Creations — California’s Custom-Made Furniture Company
We’ve been California’s most trusted family-run custom furniture company since 2010. We love working with clients like you to design the perfect custom-made sofa, sectional, or sleeper sofa for your home. Please contact us to learn more about our customization process, or visit us in San Francisco or San Rafael to see some of our favorite styles in person.