How to Decorate With the Scandinavian Interior Design Style
If you’re a fan of minimalist interior design, get ready to fall in love with the Scandinavian interior design style! Far from being a boring decor concept, the Scandinavian style takes a gorgeous, artistic approach to design.
[H2] What is the Scandinavian Interior Design Style?
When you think of minimalist design choices like the Scandinavian interior design style, you may think of a sparsely furnished room devoid of color and character. But Scandinavian design is all about mixing minimalist sensibilities with artistic touches that make your home feel cozy and welcoming.
Scandinavian furniture is characterized by:
- Simple, muted color palettes with a pop or two of color in each room
- Modern silhouettes and designs
- Organic, natural materials like wood, stone, and glass
MyDomaine explains, “Scandinavian interior design is a minimalistic style using a blend of textures and soft hues to make sleek, modern décor feel warm and inviting. It emphasizes clean lines, utility, and simple furnishings that are functional, beautiful, and cozy.” Keep reading to learn about our favorite Scandinavian pieces sourced from local Bay Area furniture stores.
Scandinavian-Inspired Sofas and Sectionals in the Bay Area
You can visit our Sofa Creations showrooms in San Francisco and San Rafael to get inspiration for your Scandinavian interior design, or we can design a completely custom piece for your home. Here are some of our favorite sofas and sectionals inspired by Scandinavian design:
- Alvin Sofa — The Alvin has a low back, allowing natural light to flow through your room as you enjoy its clean lines and sleek design.
- Barns Sofa — With fluffy cushions and a sturdy frame, the Barns prioritizes your comfort without compromising style.
- Carson Chaise Sectional — The Carson has a simple, classic silhouette that fits well into any interior design style.
- Clyde Sofa — We love the chic, subtle styling elements of the Clyde’s arms, base, and legs.
- Dante L Shaped Sectional — Inspired by both Scandinavian and Mid-Century Modern designs, the Dante is lightly tufted with one row of buttons and is easy to accessorize.
- Fillmore Sofa — The Fillmore is characterized by straight, even lines and supportive cushions to maximize your comfort and style.
- Indira Sectional — The Indira is a blank canvas for your room, ready to fit into any design scheme you can imagine.
- Jeffrey Sofa — There’s nothing more comfortable than the Jeffrey’s oversized cushions, and we adore its classy, narrow arms and base.
- Ollini Chaise Sectional — With slim arms and classic cushions, the Ollini looks great with a Scandinavian decor concept.
We personalize every sofa, sleeper, and sectional for each individual customer, so we can customize any of these pieces according to your preferred colors, dimensions, and style.
Keep reading to learn about some of our favorite local home goods stories that have even more designs you’ll love!
Where to Find Scandinavian Furniture in the Bay Area
Whether you need to deck out your living room, bedroom, or another room in your home with Scandinavian pieces, we must recommend the following locally-sourced items:
- Normandie Stool from Heath Ceramics — This Scandinavian-inspired stool has everything you're looking for: A bold, graphic cushion, clean lines, and sculptural beauty.
- Clint Side Table from Anthem — In Scandinavian design, you’ll find interesting textures that draw the eye, like the hammered texture of this bronze side table.
- Merino Wool Lyxx Area Rug from S16 Home — We love that S16 Home has unique items you won’t find anywhere else in the Bay Area. This wool rug is inspired by Scandinavian knit sweaters, so you know it’s warm, cozy, and perfect for any room.
- U Console from Anyon Atelier — This simple console is sleek and silky smooth; perfect fora minimalist’s home.
- Norr Shelf from Super Simple — This natural wooden, three-tiered shelf is held up with a single leather strap. We love its easy elegance.
- Scandinavian Sliding Doors TV Stand from Sierra Living Concepts — Inspired by the bold, graphic nature of Scandinavian design, this TV stand has just three pops of color which stand out against its wood frame.
Where to Find Scandinavian Home Accessories in the Bay Area
Need to decorate your room with a few more accessories and home goods? Check out our favorite Scandinavian pieces from local Bay Area stores:
- Kanto Magazine/Firewood Rack from Heath Ceramics — A key feature of Scandinavian design is each piece’s ability to be practical, useful, and artistic all at the same time. You can certainly find each of these features in this graceful magazine holder.
- Black Wood Serving Tray from Hudson | Grace — A perfect circle with a simple rim, this tray fits into any design scheme.
- Cubism Round Box from Anthem — Inspired by cubist art, this round box is ready to hold your knick knacks, candies, or other prized objects.
- Pendant by Secto Design from S16 Home — We love the artfully curved structure of this pendant lamp made from Finnish birch.
- Paprika Spice Check Throw Blanket from March — Inspired by the Scandinavian weaving style, this throw blanket is bold and beautiful.
- Carrie Portable Lamp from Super Simple — This cute lamp is both attractive and practical, able to be set anywhere in your home to bring a little extra light to the room.
- Scandinavia 3D Nautical Wood Chart from EI Home — Want to bring a piece of Scandinavia into your home? Check out this amazing 3D rendition of Scandinavian topography.
About Sofa Creations — California’s Custom-Made Furniture Company
We’ve been California’s most trusted family-run custom furniture company since 2010. We love working with clients like you to design the perfect custom-made sofa, sectional, or sleeper sofa for your home. Please contact us to learn more about our customization process, or visit us in San Francisco or San Rafael to see some of our favorite styles in person.