How to Design a French Country-Style Living Room
Have you ever heard someone describe furniture or interior design as “European”? Europe is a continent full of diverse countries, so you may not know what European means in interior design. Although there are similarities between various European styles, such as English country homes and French country styles, each has its own unique flavor. Let’s take a deeper look into French Country interior design!
What is the French Country Interior Design Style?
French country homes find just the right balance between rustic and polished designs. In these homes, you’ll often find old antiques sitting alongside elegant furniture. A feminine chandelier may hang from a ceiling with exposed, hard wooden beams, and brand new linen seat covers may soften the look of wood dining chairs.
French Country furniture is characterized by:
- Soft, light colors
- Understated, patterned fabrics
- Natural materials like wood and cotton
The Spruce adds, “You may also hear this type of decor called provincial style. Provincial style is recognized as a slightly more formal, refined look. Some of its elements, such as its rich colors, bold patterns, and gold accents, can be incorporated into the French country style.” Keep reading to learn about our favorite French Country pieces sourced from local Bay Area furniture stores.
French Country Sofas and Sectionals in the Bay Area
You can visit our Sofa Creations showrooms in San Francisco and San Rafael to get inspiration for your French Country interior design, or we can design a completely custom piece for your home. Here are some of our favorite sofas and sectionals inspired by French Country design:
- Alvin Sofa — This sofa has a stylish, natural wooden base with soft, microfiber upholstery; perfect for a French country living room.
- Austin Sofa — With narrow arms and legs, the Austin is perfect for a more formal sitting room.
- Carson Chaise Sectional — The Carson has gently sloped arms, thick legs, and cushions perfect for snuggling.
- Clyde Sofa — The Clyde is poised and ready for your guests, with comfortable cushions and solid, straight arms.
- Indira Sectional — With soft edges and overstuffed cushions, this cozy sectional fits right into a French country home.
- MD L Shaped Sectional — This sectional leans toward the traditional end of the spectrum with rolled armrests, oversized back cushions, and chunky legs.
- Pauline Sofa — With just a touch of ornamental nailhead trim, the Pauline is sophisticated and tasteful.
- Victoria Chaise Sectional — This refined sectional has a diamond-tufted back, tapered legs, and hidden seams.
We personalize every sofa, sleeper, and sectional for each individual customer, so we can customize any of these pieces according to your preferred colors, dimensions, and style.
Keep reading to learn about some of our favorite local home goods stories that have even more designs you’ll love!
Where to Find French Country Furniture in the Bay Area
Whether you need to deck out your living room, bedroom, or another room in your home with French Country pieces, we must recommend the following locally-sourced items:
- Nomad Bench from Heath Ceramics — French country homes favor light-colored furniture, such as this light wooden bench. For your convenience, the bench can even be folded at a moments’ notice to make more space in your room.
- Rustic Cylinder Stool from Hudson | Grace — This blue and white distressed stool can serve as a seat or a side table to hold your drinks, books, or other precious objects.
- Lebon Floor Lamp from Anthem — This rustic lamp comes with a traditional, linen shade and stands on a tripod of three narrow legs.
- French Leather Club Chairs from S16 Home — These vintage 1930s chairs are made with French sheep hide and feature regal nailhead trim.
- Scallop Console from Anyon Atelier — This scallop console is shaped like a beautiful tablecloth hung from a wicker tabletop.
- French Ivory Settee from March — This genuine, antique 19th century settee from France is made with white ivory and detailed with gold leaf.
Where to Find French Country Home Accessories in the Bay Area
Need to decorate your room with a few more accessories and home goods? Check out our favorite French Country pieces from local Bay Area stores:
- Tall Vase from Heath Ceramics — This dappled white vase could be found in any rustic country home.
- Cebu Bar Tray from Hudson | Grace — Serve drinks, store objects, or make a centerpiece for your coffee table with this gorgeous tray.
- Seagrass Basket from Anthem — French country homes showcase natural materials like the hand-woven seagrass that makes up this basket.
- Feijoa Throw from Anyon Atelier — This pretty, woven blanket features mint green accents and playful tassels.
- Petite Terracotta Herb Pot and Saucer from March — No country home is complete without some fresh herbs and flowers displayed in whitewash-style pots.
- Tumbleweed Natural Pillow from Super Simple — This neutral, patterned pillow is inspired by a tumbleweed’s “dashed and dotted tracks.”
About Sofa Creations — California’s Custom-Made Furniture Company
We’ve been California’s most trusted family-run custom furniture company since 2010. We love working with clients like you to design the perfect custom-made sofa, sectional, or sleeper sofa for your home. Please contact us to learn more about our customization process, or visit us in San Francisco or San Rafael to see some of our favorite styles in person.