Wondering how to bring the rich materials, curved silhouettes, and geometric shapes of mid-century modern design into your home? Let’s explore the elements of the Mid-Century Modern interior design style and find some of the best pieces from local Bay Area furniture stores to furnish your room.
What Does Mid-Century Modern Mean?
When we talk about Mid-Century Modern interior design, we’re referring to mid-20th century styles. Furniture in this design style is characterized by:
- Practical, functional design
- Clean lines and simple styles
- Geometric shapes
- Strong materials, including teak wood, glass, and metal
The Spruce explains, “Unlike frillier pieces or those filled with ornate detailing, midcentury modern furniture is much more straightforward in nature.” We love Mid-Century Modern designs because they’re so versatile and timeless.
Let’s take a look at some of our favorite Mid-Century Modern designs for your Bay Area home!
Mid-Century Modern Sofas in the Bay Area
You can visit our Sofa Creations showrooms in San Francisco and San Rafael to get inspiration for your Mid-Century Modern interior design, or we can design a completely custom piece for your home. Here are some of our favorite midcentury modern sofas and sectionals:
- Bellevue Sofa — The Bellevue’s angular, dark wood legs, slightly curved silhouette, and light tufting are all characteristic of the Mid-Century Modern design era.
- Brooklyn Sofa and Brooklyn L Shape Sectional — The Brooklyn also has angular legs, but its silhouette is straighter than the Bellevue’s for a clean, strong look.
- Easton Sofa and Easton L Shape Sectional — The Easton is warm and welcoming with a playfully angled silhouette, perfect for a quick catnap or a relaxed reading break.
- Guerro Mid-Century Sofa — The Guerro has beautiful, perfect curved lines defined with a bold, wooden frame and a single seat cushion.
- Jackson Sofa — The Jackson looks sophisticated with its narrow legs, biscuit-pattern tufting, and gently curved silhouette.
- Retro Sofa — Perhaps the most daring of our Mid-Century Modern designs, the Retro Sofa is outfitted with a striking, angled silhouette, triangular legs, and high tufting on the back.
We personalize every sofa, sleeper, and sectional for each individual customer, so we can customize any of these pieces according to your preferred colors, dimensions, and style.
Keep reading to learn about some of our favorite local home goods stories that have even more midcentury modern designs you’ll love!
Where to Find Mid-Century Modern Furniture in the Bay Area
Whether you need to deck out your living room, bedroom, or another room in your home with Mid-Century Modern pieces, we think you’ll agree these local Bay Area shops have the goods:
- Cocktail Table with Wine Red Base from Heath Ceramics in the Bay Area — Midcentury modern styles typically incorporate dark woods like the oak used in this cocktail table.
- Nomad Coffee Table from Heath Ceramics in the Bay Area — Heath Ceramics also has a natural walnut coffee table that incorporates the functionality that characterizes Mid-Century Modern design. You can easily disassemble this clever table if you ever need to move it out of the way, laying it flat for convenient storage.
- Walnut Armchairs from S16 Home in the Bay Area — S16 Home stocks antique and vintage items like these handsome mid-century chairs. These would look great in front of a fireplace, in a sitting corner, or in your home office.
- Eames Rocking Chair from S16 Home in the Bay Area — One of the most famous designs to emerge during the Mid-Century Modern era was the Eames chair. This Eames rocking chair is not only stylistically gorgeous, but also lets you rock gently and comfortably.
- Nesting Tables from Anyon Atelier in the Bay Area — Another favored functional design from the midcentury modern period was the nesting table, which “nests” smaller tables underneath the largest for easy storage when they’re not in use.
- Reclaimed Teak Wood Stool from Hudson | Grace in San Francisco — As we mentioned earlier, Mid-Century Modern furniture makers love teak wood. This simple, rustic stool is made from reclaimed teak.
Where to Find Mid-Century Modern Home Accessories in the Bay Area
Need to finish your room design with a few more accessories and home goods? Check out our favorite Mid-Century Modern pieces from local Bay Area stores:
- Bulb Vase from Heath Ceramics in the Bay Area — This spherical vase is inspired by the geometric styles of the midcentury modern era.
- Jadyn Lamp from Anthem in San Francisco — Mid-Century Modern designers loved using sturdy materials that contrasted with one another for visual interest, just the way that the Jadyn Lamp contrasts brass with marble.
- Black Oak Serving Tray with Bronze Handles from MARCH in San Francisco — Another example of mismatched materials can be found in this black oak tray with bronze handles.
- Hasami Porcelain Bowl from Super Simple in the Bay Area — Finally, see how these practical bowls can stack upon one another for maximum space efficiency.
About Sofa Creations — California’s Custom-Made Furniture Company
We’ve been California’s most trusted family-run custom furniture company since 2010. We love working with clients like you to design the perfect custom-made sofa, sectional, or sleeper sofa for your home. Please contact us to learn more about our customization process, or visit us in San Francisco or San Rafael to see some of our favorite styles in person.